Monday 7 May 2012

H807 - reflections on online activity

In H807 TMA3 was focused on us reflecting about the ways that we have communicated in the forums. Reflecting on our own experiences help us to understand the different dimensions.
Here’s a summary of some of the things I reflected on. It would be interesting to compare how this has changed this year, and I am picking this up following the commenst made in activity 3.

Social presence

I tried to create a social presence by responding to questions, imparting information, referring to posts from others (usually by name), using emotive phrases, giving encouragement and by revealing information and experiences that are personal to me. These characteristics can be seen across several of my posts and echo Walther and Boyd’s (2002) characteristics of face-to-face support that reflect those found in online communication.

Posts that reveal personal information are evident, but I have not consciously controlled this (Ben Ze’ev, 2003), or revealed more information about myself online (Joinson, 2001) in comparison to face-to-face learning environments. Often the ‘revealing’ element reflects or enhances my discussion in different contexts. It also helps to identify with others, for example, where a simple statement about a walkman created some social cohesion with people then sharing similar experiences.

As in face-to-face, the way I have communicated is often emotive, using language like ‘love’, ‘excited’ or inserting exclamation marks or emoticons. These snippets of our own experiences or emotions create a richer online environment, the human element, enabling a sense of play between us, which is important in motivating me and engaging with others (Waltonen-Moore et al, 2006).

I have found it quite frustrating, especially towards the end of Block 2, as interaction in the forums slowed down and lost some of the earlier vigour. For that reason I was keen to revisit the statements I made about how people behave and whether individuals can dominate discussions. This has made me question my perception of commitment, as others may view my ensuring I take part in online discussions, as domineering behaviour. Particularly in week 13, where my enthusiasm for the information ecology metaphor may have alienated others, and I can see how my multiple posts could be perceived as aggressive, and something I need to consider in the future.

This is one of the features of asynchronous communication within distance learning, and a part of general group development. People have differing demands on time, expectations and motivations, and it means that if no one voices their concerns or thoughts, it sometimes gets lonely or misinterpreted. I find that I miss hearing from particular individuals within weekly discussions.

(I have been particularly reminded of this in my current module, where I fight against not wanted to write too much in the forums, versus there being a real lack of presence of anyone is some weeks. Again I am reminded that my behaviour could be construed as domineering, but I really want to involved with others, as I need to feel connected and argue and debate with others to help my own understanding. Often if feels like we are just passing through with a quick hello. The forums motivate me onward – so this means that I need to find new avenues and approached to motivation, when the online presence of others is lacking. The worry is always that one can get disillusioned and then not post at all ).

Engaging with activities

In many ways, despite not being truly anonymous to each other, the tasks have driven our online identities (Lea et al, 2002). I feel more affinity to those who take part in the activities, communicate regularly or in a similar way to myself. That is not to say that I always take part in the activities, as often I will comment and observe on the periphery, rather than engage fully in the activities we have been asked to do, but every week I have contributed in some way.

Upon reflection, my posts display repeated characteristics. They usually involve some kind of general summary on the activity, a reflection on personal experience or how it translates to personal context, then further questions on how to apply what we have covered. Sometimes this involves rethinking my original conclusions. This is very much in tune with my learning style, where I like to investigate and reflect before giving my opinion.  I also apply knowledge to real life situations in face-to-face learning, as much of my training is about behaviour change or knowledge application, so I was not surprised that this materialised in many of my posts.

(This year I think I have done more reflection in my blog than within the forums. I also attend supervision as part of my job, so I often talk to me supervisor about some of the key ideas coming through and how this relates to my own experience and direction. I think that I have posted a lot less than I did last year, and my posts don’t always reflect that activities that I have done, although they are related in others ways. I think this is because I use my blogs more for direct reflection on activities, and the forums for sharing some summary thoughts or trying to get some discussion going between us. I feel that the forum discussions are less focused on unpicking the activities and coming to conclusions, and more about sharing some of our initial thoughts. It would be interesting to hear some of my fellow students take on the role of the forum for this module)

In the early weeks I was constructing messages carefully before posting, sometimes taking several hours, to ensure a quality response (Herring 1999), but this has changed. In Block 1 my postings have a more formal feel to them, which reflects on how the theory fits with my experiences. In Block 2 my posts become more fluid and informal. I respond using a similar structures, but the pace of the message feels faster. This may be because the subject matter is reviewing tools rather than theories, but it is interesting to note the changes.

I have also started deconstructing my posts. Some posts are anecdotes, a characteristic of mine, but it has no reflection around it from me, which leaves it open for comments from others. Some of my posts also highlight that spontaneity often creates more syntax or spelling errors, which holds less importance for me now.

This reflection has proved interesting in seeing how my personality materialises in my posts, and how posts also echo my personal development, moving from reflection to cognitive analysis to a need to share and encourage others in the process of thinking about thinking. Characteristics that have been highlighted by the readings and theories we have studied have materialised in my own experiences to varying degrees, and it would now be interesting to share this with my fellow students and get their views and interpretations.

 
Ben Ze’ev, A. (2003) ‘Privacy, emotional closeness, and openness in cyberspace’, Computers in Human Behavior, vol.19, no.4, pp.451–67.

Herring, S.C. (1999) ‘Interactional coherence in CMC’, Journal of Computer-mediated Communication, vol.4, no.4 [online] http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol4/issue4/herring.html (accessed 16th March 2011)
Joinson, A.N. (2001) ‘Self-disclosure in computer-mediated communication: the role of self-awareness and visual anonymity’, European Journal of Social Psychology, vol.31, no.2, pp.177–92

Lea, M., Rogers, P. and Postmes, T. (2002) ‘SIDE-VIEW: Evaluation of a prototype system to develop team players and improve productivity in Internet collaborative learning groups’, British Journal of Educational Technology, vol.33, no.1, pp.53–63

Walther, J.B. and Boyd, S. (2002) ‘Attraction to computer-mediated social support’ in Lin, C.A. and Atkin, D. (eds) Communication Technology and Society: Audience Adoption and Uses, Cresskill, NJ, Hampton Press, pp.153–88

Waltonen-Moore, S., Stuart, D., Newton, E., Oswald, R., & Varonis, E. (2006). ‘From virtual strangers to a cohesive online learning community: the evolution of online group development in a professional development course.’ Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 14.2. ,287-311 [online] http://www.dastous.us/edtechadvocate/1.pdf  (Accessed 21st March

Other reflections from H807...

No comments:

Post a Comment