Wednesday 12 November 2014

Exploring power and fear (and request for help)


Currently I am exploring the theme of inclusion, but not in the traditional approach of accessibility. I want to explore some of the psychological reasons why people (but particularly volunteers) don't use the online world. Here's what I am thinking.......(in no particular formulated order, and still in exploration mode)

Firstly, the reasoning behind encouraging people to be online, is that as a values based organisation, who work alongside young people, we need to be where they are. And part of their space is online. And as citizens we have a duty to exhibit our values in all spaces. Especially nowadays when the news is populate with stories of risk and dangers and horrible people. You could be forgiven for thinking that the online world was really some kind of post apocalyptic mad max/trainspotting mash up. If good people didn't rock up online, then we would be leaving it to all the bad people. And I am a bit of a positivist, so I don't think that's what we should be doing. Throughout my life I have strived to be a role model to others, young and old. To be respectful, open and trusting. To believe the best in people and encourage and support them. I believe that the 'open landscape' that is the online world, the web, whatever you want to call it is a place we need to be. 


So what stops people? Well, it probably doesn't help that media stories are full of risks and dangers and bad people. If you believed the news then you would think that the online world was the worst place in the world to visit, so why bother. There is of course the fear of the unknown, and the fear that you don't have the knowledge or the skills. But these can be learned. I want to explore some of the more psychological reasons behind the barriers to engage. 


My hypothesis that the same fears that drive us in the 'offline' world drive us in the online world. That the way we empower people in the offline world, is the same as the online world. That overcoming fear and taking away someone's sense of powerlessness is the first step in engagement. 
Now I don't know f this is right or not - so if you know of any research that explores issues of fear or power in the online world, or you have your own opinions and thoughts, please let me know. 
(If you think I am barking up the wrong tree, then be nice to me when you tell me.)


In order to narrow down my project scope, because this could be rather large investigation, I have chosen to focus on three areas - confidence, safety and identity (see the start of my project planning) within the lens of fear and power.

Identity. Being online makes us vulnerable. People don't like being vulnerable.Also in our everyday lives we general don't think a lot about our identity. In the online landscape we have to, because it can be more permanent. So we go from the extremes of complete anonymity to disinhibition (basically a complete lack of constraint). So there is fear and fearlessness.  So if we want to empower people then we need to help them understand their identity, especially in the context of a values based organisation, and explore with them what identity means, but also how to manage this in a different environment. And this is no different to the offline world. I always use the example of what we wear. the way we act and what we wear are often very different at work, to at home. Therefore we do manage our identity, but we are maybe less conscious of doing it. I think values help a great deal here.

Safety. For ourselves and for others. How do we traverse the risks and dangers of the online world. Should we be risk averse, or should we be risk-embracing? Naturally Scouting is an organisation that is risk-embracing, and so we spend a huge amount of time understanding those risks and responding. If the online world is a 'new place', then we need to help people understand some of those risks and how to mitigate them. 

Confidence. I think for me this is more about the overall approach of feeling empowered and having the knowledge and the skills, and the belief in oneself, and potentially of others. 



So here's the part where you can help?
What are your thoughts about fear and power being psychological barriers to inclusion? Is there any research that might be useful for me to look at? Is this an area that you are interested or have done some work in?

I look forward to talking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment